Friday, December 2, 2011

DIY Christmas Wreaths

Yahoo!!  Christmas is just around the corner and we are LOVING every minute of it!!  Ok....so I guess technically it is only December 1st....BUT why not enjoy Christmas fun all month long?

So I told you last week that we did some serious crafting during Thanksgiving....and I already showed you the Santa "Hat" crafts that we made HERE......

We also got a little over zealous crazy excited about making wreaths.....so we made not 1....not 2....not 3....BUT 4 new wreaths!!  Once we got started it was just too fun to see what all we could come up with....

SO.....I can't wait any more.....I want to share.....so here's one that we made.....we called it the "traditional" wreath.....

We were SO excited with how it turned out....sooooo pretty!

AND....I've got two more to show you.....BUT first....let me tell you how to make one of these lovelies....

Stay with me....I promise they are EASY to make....seriously.....you know me.....the queen of "I love easy".....Ha!

SO......First....get your supplies.....

You'll need some of this.....


This "Deco Mesh" stuff really is like magic....it does a lot of the work for you.....I got mine at Hobby Lobby, but I know it is available at other stores too......I haven't seen it at Wal-Mart or Target, but I have seen it at Sam's and some other local stores.....believe me.....this stuff is worth a trip to the store....and one roll goes a long way.....I think one roll runs around $7.....

Also you'll need a very basic wreath....a few Christmas ornaments....and some ribbon that you like (preferably three different types)....

Now....just fluff up the wreath a little bit.....don't laugh....this is an important step.....and for some reason a lot of people forget to do this.....yeah....I know.....those people are weird....but seriously I've seen some sad looking greenery out there.....


The next step is to add the mesh to the wreath.....


You might wonder how to attach the mesh to the wreath....hold on.....this is the best part......NO HOT GLUE....no special attachments.....all you have to do is wind the mesh around the greenery and then simply wrap the green branches around the mesh.....something like this....


And soon you'll have something like this....


Don't worry if you are thinking that your wreath doesn't look too great at this point.....just keep trudging ahead....it will come together....promise :)

Next its time to add the ribbon.....here's an upclose look....


Again....all you need to do is wrap the branches of the wreath around the ribbon to keep the ribbon in place....SO EASY!!

And after adding two pieces of ribbon....you should have something like this.....


Starting to look good....but I decided that I wanted to add one more type of ribbon....to make things a little fuller looking....so I added another type of ribbon and ended up with this....


Ok....we're getting there!!  Next you'll want to add some ornaments or something similar to hide all the places that you've used the wreath branches to hold your ribbon/mesh in place....

So I decided to group three ornaments together....I just tied them together with a piece of string....and then I simply tied them around a branch on the wreath.....




And....we are almost there!!  Here's a look before putting on the finishing touches....


To add a little bling to the wreath and a little soul too.....I added the Joy sign to the middle....and ended up with this.....

The finished wreath!!




And....an upclose look.....


And here is one of it hanging up at my Mom's house....


I just LOVE how this turned out!!  I have to admit that even I was surprised at how great it looked when it was finished!! 

AND....the best part.....when my Mom walked in the room (just as I was finishing the wreath)....she said....OOOOHHHHH....that wreath is Gorgeous!!  Ummmm.....Thanks Mom!!  And right then I knew that this one would have to stay at her house :) 

SO....I've still got three more wreaths to show you!!  I can't wait....b/c they are equally as gorgeous, but yet totally different.....so stay tuned for more to come.....

Are you guys making any wreaths this year?  Something similar.....or totally different?  Anyone thinking about making one like this one?  Ahhhh....please share!!  I'd love to see :)

SO.....

Until next time.....

XOXO-
Kristal



3 comments:

snscott said...

So very cute and actually very simple to make! Can't wait til my "untraditional" wreath makes the blog. I've already gotten several comments about how these could easily be sold or given as gifts. Thanks for the idea!!

Kristal @ Engineering Life and Style said...

Thanks sister!! Your untraditional wreath will be making the blog soon!!

Maybe we can do some more crafting during Christmas??

annewalker said...

Wow, that was a very cute and elegant Christmas wreath! Your tutorial makes it seem like it's easy to create. Thanks!

Feel free to check out my compilation of favorite Christmas wreath ideas when you got a chance. Happy Holidays!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...