Wednesday, January 25, 2012

Picking Paint Colors for the Master Bathroom

Whew!!  I'm exhausted already and we are still just on Phase 1 of our Master Bathroom Makeover.....

Not good people....not good.....I cannot be tired this early in a project!!  BUT....this is the reason that we broke this major project into different phases like I talked about HERE....that way we can take a rest in between each one if we need too.......

The cool thing though.....I am LOVING how things are coming along so far!! 

So....recently I had the joy torture pleasure of picking out the paint colors for the Master Bath.  Picking paint is not my favorite thing to do.....you know.....the color just never looks the same on your walls as it does on that little paint chip....

SO....here is my methodology for picking out paint color.....

1) Search Pinterest or the Internet for pictures of colors that I like....and I focus on pictures of rooms where the paint has been used in a REAL home (not some mocked up fake room like in a Pottery Barn catalog or one that the paint companies have set up)

2) Take the paint colors that I found as part of search #1 and then do a search just for that paint color name.....and if I still like what I see.....then proceed to #3

3) Go to the paint store and purchase a sample of the paint.....I like to use Home Depot, since they carry Behr Paint with Primer....which is my go to paint for everything....seriously....it rocks!!  I call it the one coat wonder :)

AND....you might be wondering.....what to do if the paint color that you like is not made by Behr.....well....this is the cool thing.....they can color match their paint to a paint chip....

AND.....the SUPER COOL thing.....that I just learned......a lot of times you don't even need to have a paint chip.....if you just give the guy (or gal) at the paint counter the name of the paint color that you are trying to match.....a lot of times they already have it in their computer!!  Way cool!!

Ok.....so....here are a few of the paint color inspiration pics that I found on Pinterest.....and how they looked on my wall....

Horizon by Benjamin Moore



Silverpointe by Glidden



Cliffside Gray by Benjamin Moore



And here's how they looked on my walls (in the same order)....

Pretty amazing how different they look....huh?

And here's a few more.....

Harbor Gray by Benjamin Moore


Requisite Gray by Benjamin Moore
No inspiration pic for this one....not sure how I found it.....

Revere Pewter by Benjamin Moore


Silvercloud by Glidden


And here's how they looked on my wall.....


And two more....

Stonington Gray by Benjamin Moore



Arctic Gray by Benjamin Moore



And here's how they looked on my wall.....


Please note....although I've listed the paint colors with their original manufacturer name....the paint shown on my walls is all Behr paint with primer color matched to the color names listed.....

Isn't it amazing how different the paint looks in my room versus the way it looks in the inspiration pictures.....which is exactly why I always try the samples first before I buy in any larger quantities.....

SO.....what color did we pick......hmmmm.....I'm wondering what you guys think.......so make your guesses now......

Drum roll please.....

We decided to go with Cliffside Gray by Benjamin Moore.....color matched to Behr paint with primer......

We chose it because it wasn't too light.....or too dark.....or too brown.....or too blue....or too green.....

It just seemed right.....

SO.....which one would you guys choose?  Do you have another gray paint color that you love?  Please do share.....

It's late....I'm tired.....so......

Until next time....

XOXO-
Kristal

2 comments:

Kelly said...

Wow, you tried a lot of grays! I found picking a gray was much harder than picking bright pink or green, for instance. Like you said, those neutrals have so many underlying tones. The time of day, the amount of natural light, the kind of light bulbs, the color of your trim, and the reflection of whatever color of floor you have all influence how the gray appears on your wall.

We used BM Smoke Embers on our dining room because it best matched our curtain fabric. However, the slightly off-white trim (previous owners) tends to make our gray walls blue. (I have plans to repaint them a brighter white, but I'm not sure which one since I want to use the same color throughout the house...) In our bedroom, the reflection off the golden oak floor makes that gray look way too green & muddy (BM Rockport Gray).

Good luck! I like all your choices and can't wait to see how the room turns out!!!

Kristal @ Engineering Life and Style said...

Kelly-
Thanks girl! We definitely did try a lot of grays....gray is just one of those colors that is SO great when you get it right or SO bad if you get it wrong! I remember a few years ago we tried to use an aqua/gray in one of our other rooms....it turned out "prison wall gray"....ha, ha!!

Hopefully we'll get it right this time :)

Kristal

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...