Wednesday, March 7, 2012

Framing Contractor Grade Mirrors

Hello friends!!  How are you guys doing?

I was sick ALL last week....I know....what the heck.....I'm so tired of getting sick all the time!!  BUT....I am feeling good now....YAY!!  And the weather has been absolutely gorgeous here the past couple of days, so that has really lifted my spirits :)

But....sick or not.....we've been BUSY around here trying to make some major progress on some of our ongoing projects!!  AND.....I am SO thrilled to be able to share one today that we just finished up!!

Some of you may be able to relate.....do any of you have those lovely ugly plain jane boring contractor grade mirrors?  We have had them in two of our bathrooms.  And for years I've wanted to do something about them, but it just never happened.....

UNTIL......This past weekend we FINALLY transformed one of our contractor grade mirrors to a beautiful modern framed mirror!!  YAHOOOOOO!!  I am thrilled!!

So.....I can't wait....I've got to show you!!  Here you go......


And just to so you can compare.....here is the Before and After pic together.....


Ohhhhhh Yeah!!  I love it!! 

Doesn't it look SO much better?  I knew that it would.....but then when I saw it.....I was still surprised at how much better it looked.

Very cool....because this is a pretty cheap and relatively easy change to make!!

BUT....we did run into a few difficulties.....primarily because I had my heart set on this.....






And.....you might be thinking that we ended up with something pretty similar....and we did.....but it took a few workarounds.....

SO.....what was the problem with my inspiration pic......

Well....the first issue was the 3D crown molding at the top.....I REALLY wanted that with the new frame....but there were two problems 1) The light fixture next to one of the mirrors was so close that the molding was going to almost touch it and 2) one of the mirrors is wedged between two walls and the other one isn't.....so I was afraid that the 3D molding would really highlight this difference.....and look weird.....

Ok.....so problem #1 is not insurmountable....but we really didn't want to have to move the light (lazy) and we didn't want to move the molding down b/c we didn't want to cover up too much of the mirror....and there really wasn't must we could do about problem #2.....

SO.....ultimately the Hubs came up with the idea of using a flat molding on the top of the mirror frame....which essentially eliminated the problems with the first issue.....So super kudos to the Hubs for coming up with a great solution.....

Here's an upclose pic....so you can see the molding.....


And then there was a second issue with my inspirations pic....once we started looking closely at this design we realized that it had the potential to impede our electrical outlets that are located REALLY close to the mirrors.....ugh!!

So.....we adjusted some more.....and we ended up with this.....


And the Hubs is still going to have to "shave off" the side of the electrical outlet cover to make it all work......but the good news is......the plugs all still fit.....it's close....but they fit!! 

So.....it took a bit of thinking.....but we made it all work!!  And as usual the Hubs did an awesome job making my ideas a reality......oh how I love that man :)

So....ya'll want to see a few more pics??  I hope so, because I just can't help myself.....

Here's one that I took during the daytime....so it gives a little different perspective (ooops....ignore the green tape at the bottom and my lack of staging).....


And here is a couple more pics from the left side.....



And a couple from the right side.....



Seen enough?  Yeah.....probably.....LOL!!

Well.....we've still got another mirror in this bathroom to do.....so I'll take some detailed pics while we work on that one, so I can share some step by step "how to" directions with you guys.......

BUT.....I'm wondering.....have any of you all framed out your mirrors?  What did you learn?  Any tricks of the trade or words for the wise?  Please do share.....we can all stand to learn a little something!!  :)

I guess I better run....

Until next time.....

XOXO-
Kristal

I'm linking up here.....

1 comment:

Milliscent Morgan said...

I read this page and I could truly say that this is such a great post about wood  framing contractors. So keep on posting!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...